A very special friend celebrated his birthday last month, So i decided to prepare a cake for him and give it to him as a way of saying thanks for being there as support to me.. So i was searching all over the net for the perfect recipe and i found this. The cake tasted good(surprisingly) So i thought of sharing the recipe with you guys..
- 1.5 cups of all-purpose flour.
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar (white sugar may also work)
- 1 cup of mixed dry fruits like raisins, sultanas, dates, cherries, tutti fruity, etc
- 2 tbsp of finely chopped cashew nuts
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 tsp of mixed spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, etc
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 2.5 tbsp of any neutral oil (like veg oil)
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2/3 cup of water.
1. Bring the water to boil in a pan and add the dry fruits (leave out the tutti fruity if using them) and the sugar. Simmer for about 7-10 mins until the dates have softened yet don't turn mushy. Turn off flame, remove the pan and set aside for 5 mins to cool slightly. Then, add the butter, vanilla (or zest) and baking soda. The mixture will foam a bit, that's normal and fine. Set aside to cool.
2. In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the spice powders and mix well to combine. To this, add the cashew nuts and tutti fruity if using. You can also add some chopped preserved cherries at this stage.
3. Add the cooled fruit mixture to the flour mixture and add the oil. Gently fold until the batter has no flour streaks left in in it.
4. Pour into the prepared cake pan and bake in the pre-heated oven for about 50 mins. If the top seems to be cooking too quickly, loosely cover the cake tray with aluminium foil and leave a slit in the middle for air to escape. If you have a large-ish oven, bake this cake in the middle rack. Keep an eye on it starting at about 40 mins but the cake will take longer to bake than usual ones.